Finally the U.S. government realizes the toxicity of mercury and has called for a “phase down, with the goal of eventual phase out by all Parties, of mercury amalgam.” The so-called “silver” amalgams are about 50% mercury and are a major source of mercury exposure in most people. It is great news that the U.S. government now supports eliminating this source of mercury in our environment and our bodies.
Thousands of medical studies have proven the toxicity of mercury. It can cause numerous health problems, including depression, fatigue, irritability, tremors, numbness and tingling, insomnia, mental confusion, irritable bowel syndrome, allergies, low immune function, etc.
The good news is that mercury toxicity can be diagnosed and treated. There are different ways of testing (blood, hair, urine, stool) and these test results mean different things. Contact me for the best method of testing that is right for you and the safest and most efficient treatment option.
Disturbingly high levels of toxic metals (mercury, lead, cadmium, aluminum) were recently found in the blubber of sperm whales. The scientists were so disturbed by the alarming results that they worry about the fate of the whales, as well as the populations of people who rely on fish as a food source. (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/24/tech/main6614750.shtml)
Sperm whales are on the top of the food chain, just like humans, so they can accumulate toxins. Although a good a source of protein and omega 3 fatty acids, I am concerned about the regular consumption of fish because the toxic metals, mostly mercury, can bioaccumulate in people. I believe that most fish are just too polluted and therefore can cause significant health problems when included regularly in the diet.
I was shocked when I recently came upon research done by the Hawaii Department of Health that showed opah, also known as moonfish, has about 25% more methylmercury than any species of tuna! Out of the nine different fish species tested, opah topped the list with the highest mercury, followed by bigeye and albacore tuna, with mahimahi having the lowest levels. Obviously this is concerning because it is fairly widely known that tuna, swordfish, and marlin are high in mercury and should be ate sparingly or not at all, but now we need to add opah to the top of that list.
Unfortunately mercury toxicity is rather common here in Hawaii due to lots of fish consumption, including sushi and poke. Some common symptoms include irritability, anxiety, depression, insomnia, headaches, fatigue, thyroid disorders, and immune system suppression. If you suspect mercury toxicity, contact me for the best method of testing and the safest and most efficient way to remove it.