With the introduction of the extremely important Bill 2491 on Kauai, it is been brought to light that the four big seed companies that occupy Kauai use 18 tons of restricted use pesticides here every year. This unprecedented use of toxic chemicals is very disturbing and makes one wonder about their own exposure to pesticides.
Organophosphates are some of the most commonly used and toxic class of pesticides. They are toxic to the human nervous system and are especially dangerous to children (and fetus development) causing developmental effects. Acute exposure can cause nausea, headaches, twitching, and difficulty breathing. Long term exposure is linked to negative reproductive effects, memory problems, depression, irritability, chronic fatigue, cancer, and Parkinson’s disease.
Of course here on Kauai we are very concerned about human exposure due to the extremely high use of organophosphates by the four seed companies, but these chemicals are sprayed regularly on crops so most of us are exposed to them if we are eating any non-organic produce (which means the majority of people). If you are living in an area of high use organophosphate pesticides (ie. Westside, Southside Kauai), or are simply concerned about your own pesticide exposure, and/or have any of the above mentioned symptoms, I recommend testing for organophosphate pesticide exposure (as well as the pesticide atrazine). Contact me if interested in testing.
When the weather is cold and rainy or snowy, it’s nice to burn candles, but all candles are not created equal. Most candles are made from paraffin, which is a petroleum byproduct from refining crude oil. When burned, they create indoor air pollutants. The soot contains toxic chemicals that damage indoor air quality and may damage our health.The toxicity is compounded by the added chemical fragrances that enter the air when burned.
When it comes to candles, beeswax is the way to go. This natural wax actually cleans the air when burned by creating negative ions. These negative ions will attach to positive charged ions that contain dust and other allergens. This will then settle downward ready to be swept up. Do yourself and your family a favor and burn only beeswax candles. This is especially important for anyone with respiratory health conditions, such as asthma.